Annual AAMA Symposium Wrap-Up
The AAMA’s lively and info-packed 2021 Annual Symposium drew attendees from across the United States and beyond. Thank you to committee members, staff members, speakers, presenters, attendees and sponsors. Your contributions made the event a huge success!
For those of you who weren’t able to attend, it’s not too late to take advantage of the educational offerings. You can still register. The session recordings are available to watch on-demand, whether you registered early or if you register this week.
Among the important business and announcements (and fun!) that were part of the Symposium are the following:
Board of Directors
Following the recent AAMA elections, newly elected to the Board of Directors are:
- Janice Brown, MD
- Nancy Lorenzini, MD, DABMA
- James Stahl, MD, DABMA
- Gary Stanton, MD, DABMA
And members re-elected to the Board include:
- Larissa Bresler, MD, DABMA
- Michael Freedman, MD, FAAMA
- Tammy Lindsay, MD, FAAMA
- Sue Sorensen, MD, FAAMA
- Kendra Unger, MD, FAAMA
Newly elected officers for the Academy are:
- President – Kendra Unger, MD, FAAMA
- Vice President – Donna Pittman, MD, FAAMA
- Treasurer – Joseph Audette, MD
- Secretary – Montiel Rosenthal, MD, FAAMA
- Immediate Past President – Freda Dreher, MD, FAAMA
Congratulations to the following members who were elected to be Fellows of the Academy:
- Barbara de la Torre, MD, FAAMA
- Geoffrey Gustavsen, MD, FAAMA
- Amanda Katie Hill, MD, FAAMA
- Clasina Leslie Smith, MS, MA, LAc, MD, FAAMA
- Chi-Tsai Tang, MD, FAAMA
Research Paper Competition Winner
“Incorporating Intraoperative Acupuncture to Reduce Opioid Usage After Total Knee Arthroplasty: A Prospective Cohort Trial” by Stephanie Cheng, MD, DABMA, was selected as this year’s AAMA Research Paper Competition winner. Cheng’s presentation was part of the virtual Annual Symposium and will be available for viewing on the AAMA website.
Poster Presentation Winners
Congratulations to the following poster winners, whose outstanding work was presented during the Symposium:
- 1st place: $500; Auricular Battlefield Acupressure for Treatment of Pain in the Emergency Department, Dr. Shiu-lin Tsai
- 2nd place: $250; Acupuncture Emergency Service in Brazilian Public Health System: Quantitative Analysis of Cases Attended in a Semester, Dr. Marcia Yamamura
- 3rd place: $100; Standardized Protocol for Measuring Reactivity of Auricular Acupoints in Functional Abdominal Pain in Pediatrics, Sophie Shan
Gamification & Trivia Winners
In an effort to boost attendee engagement and give the virtual symposium a few fun twists, a point-collecting competition and a team trivia competition were added.
Congratulations to our three Gamification winners, who earned the most challenge points throughout the event:
- 1st Place: Kamran Sahrakar, MD – won a $100 Amazon gift card
- 2nd Place: Rosanne Sheinberg, MD – won a $75 Amazon gift card
- 3rd Place: Thuy-Tien Dang, NP – wone a $50 Starbucks gift card
Congratulations, also, to the team Pointer Sisters who were the AAMA Symposium Trivia Champs! Team members included Carolina Salvador, Adam Cohen-Lewe, Kaarolyn Mauro, Kendra Unger and Bertha Tien. Thank you to Lhasa OMS for supplying prizes for the winning team.
2022 Symposium – Save the Date! Cincinnati, OH May 5-8, 2022
Do you have ideas for lectures, presentations or workshops for the next Annual Symposium? Reach out and let us know now so the Symposium Committee can consider your topic proposals.