In April 2000, members of the Academy voted to amend the Bylaws of the AAMA for the purpose of creating a new class of membership: Fellow or FAAMA. To be a Fellow of the Academy, one must meet the following criteria and be elected by a majority of the voting members of the AAMA.
To be nominated to Fellow of the Academy one must submit an application documenting the following:
- Possess an MD or DO degree or equivalent.
- Be licensed to practice as an MD, DO or homeopathic physician in the US or Canada.
- Be Board Certified by the American Board of Medical Acupuncture.
- Be a current Full member of the American Academy of Medical Acupuncture.
- Have a minimum of five years of Western medicine practice experience or be Board Certified in his or her medical specialty.
- Have a minimum of four years of clinical experience in medical acupuncture since completing a basic training program in medical acupuncture.
- Have published or have accepted for publication an acupuncture related article in a recognized medical periodical. OR Have documented ten hours or more of experience teaching medical professionals on acupuncture related topics.