Renew Your Membership Now — Together We Thrive!
— Donna Pittman, MD, FAAMA, AAMA President
For more than 35 years, the Academy has worked to promote the integration of all forms of acupuncture with Western medicine to synthesize a more comprehensive approach to health care. This mission is the backbone of the American Academy of Medical Acupuncture and now, more than ever, is in the front of our minds.
Your membership is vital to the success of our organization. Likewise, the AAMA is vital to the success of your medical acupuncture practice. Here is a reminder of the many great things that your membership provides:
- The AAMA provides one free hour of Category 1 CME with each issue of our journal, Medical Acupuncture.
- Members can now earn up to six free hours of Category 1 CME through the journal each year.
- A wealth of Category 1 CME credit is available online in the form of archived symposia and webinars. These are available now for members and cover a wide variety of acupuncture topics.
- Regular webinars provide an opportunity for your ongoing acupuncture education needs. Recorded webinars are available on demand on the AAMA website, and there are more live activities planned.
Medical Acupuncture Journal
Academy members receive the journal every other month and have access to an online version through the Academy’s website including past issues. The journal, edited by Dr. Richard Niemtzow and an international editorial staff, is a reliable educational resource. We are pleased too that the journal is indexed in PubMed Central which affords greater exposure to the scientific community as well as broader dissemination of our acupuncture colleagues’ research.
The annual symposium typically includes four days of scientific and clinical presentations and workshops presented by some of the best teachers in the field.
Medical Acupuncture Research Foundation
Over the last couple of years, efforts have been made surrounding and supporting medical acupuncture research. MARF – the charitable research foundation arm of the AAMA – has been working on supporting and mentoring members’ research efforts and has funded a pilot grant project through the Allen McDaniels grant – named after one of the AAMA’s founding fathers.
Website & Social Media Support
- The website (medicalacupuncture.org) continues to grow and expand. The site is inviting and engaging to the public as well as to members.
- The AAMA member portal is available to meet member needs. From the member portal, YOU have control over your member account, address, contact information, etc. The portal offers access to the webinar recordings you have purchased or wish to access along with other member-only resources.
- You can follow AAMA on Facebook and Twitter. Our members-only closed group on Facebook has been growing. It was created as another avenue for discussion and support. Take a look! (facebook.com/groups/aamagroup)
Supporting the Growth of Medical Acupuncture
There are many important aspects to creating and securing the future of medical acupuncture, including: communication and organization, patient referrals, legislative oversight, practice management and reimbursement, promoting understanding of our specialty among our colleagues in medicine and amongst the public, and staying abreast of and supporting continued research and scientific advancement in acupuncture. The AAMA is headed in a positive direction with a spirit and culture of respect for all who advocate for acupuncture as part of our medical system.
The most important part of the Academy is YOU! Through your membership and participation, the Academy will continue to advance in stature and quality. Your membership supports your success as a physician who practices medical acupuncturist. Thank you for your AAMA membership and for your dedication to medical acupuncture. We ARE in this together and together we will thrive! Please be sure to take a few minutes and renew your membership today! (Access Renewal Form — log in required.)