The Communications Committee was established by the AAMA Board of Directors in 2019 to contribute to a consistent and active communication strategy designed to reach all stakeholders for the purposes of recruitment, public education, fundraising, awareness, and branding.
This is a working committee. Members are expected to contribute efforts to the work of the committee, provide thoughtful input to committee deliberations, and focus on the best interests of AAMA and committee goals rather than on personal interests.
Mission and Goals:
The purpose of the committee is to oversee communications, marketing, and promotional activities of the organization to effectively share information among current AAMA members and to coordinate outreach and advocacy activities as a way to connect with physicians, researchers, legislators, decision-makers, members of the media, and others among the general public with an interest in Medical Acupuncture.
- To add value to a member’s relationship with AMA by providing information and opportunities to expand professional knowledge
- To develop a comprehensive strategy using media to communicate industry/AAMA news timely and effectively
- To assess communication needs and mechanisms to identify adequacy/deficiencies/improvement opportunities
- To re-evaluate communication program annually for current suitability and effectiveness
Scope of Work:
The Committee is responsible for the following activities:
- Advise staff and Board of Directors on strategies and development for various marketing communications channels and web presences including, electronic/social media (e.g. Facebook, Twitter, etc.), newsletter, public relations, website, and printed collateral
- Contribute to the ongoing development of AAMA’s use of social media (Twitter feed, and Facebook page) and post/comment/share on a regular basis
- Assess AAMA’s existing and future publications, including the monthly newsletter, website, white papers, and publications that may result from conference sessions
- Seek and implement new means of communicating with members and non-members as needed
- Solicit feedback as needed on AAMA communication and outreach initiatives
- Provide comments, feedback, and quotes for AAMA publications and social media accounts
- Work with the AAMA staff and Membership Committee on joint marketing initiatives and general communications with members
- Follow AAMA on social and contribute to or lead discussion, where appropriate
- Review all relevant material before committee meetings
- Attend committee meetings and voice objective opinions on issues
- Share relevant member news, scientific studies, and industry news for dissemination to AAMA membership via emails, social media
- Represent the AAMA at events and in the media as Medical Acupuncture experts as needed
- Pay attention to AAMA activities that affect or are affected by the committee’s work
- Support the efforts of the committee chair and carry out individual assignments made by the chair
- Be comfortable using online media as a communication tool
- Have strong writing skills and the ability to think creatively
- Understand the AAMA, its mission, and membership
- Be able willing to work independently, as well as part of this team, and to interact with other committees, e.g. Programs, Forum, etc.
- Be willing to work within deadlines. Strict adherence to time lines is imperative, since the responsiveness of this committee will influence the success of other committees.
Committee Chair Responsibilities:
In addition to specific roles required by the activities of individual committee members, chairs of AAMA committees are expected to guide their committees and work with staff and Board members to develop necessary work plans and meeting agendas. Chairs should:
- The Chair shall submit written status reports for all meetings of the Board of Directors. The Chairman shall submit annual funding and/or project funding requests to the Board.
- Monitor committee progress and hold members accountable for projects and work
- Report to the committee on decisions of the Board or of executive staff that affect the committee’s work
- Guide the committee in proposing new activities and service that will further the mission and goals of the AAMA
Estimated Time Commitment & Work Structure:
- Participation in a monthly conference call
- Participation in live meeting at annual symposium
- Estimated time commitment: 5-10 hours/month depending needs