Criteria for Fellowship in the AAMA
Members of the Academy voted to amend the Bylaws of the AAMA at the April 2000 Membership meeting for the purpose of creating a new class of Membership --- Fellow. To be a Fellow of the Academy, one must meet the following criteria and be elected by a majority of the voting members of the AAMA.
Criteria for Fellow Membership
To be nominated to Fellow of the Academy one must submit an application documenting the following:
- Possess an MD or DO degree or equivalent.
- Be licensed to practice as an MD, DO or homeopathic physician in the US or Canada.
- Be Board Certified by the American Board of Medical Acupuncture.
- Be a current Associate or Full member of the American Academy of Medical Acupuncture.
- Have a minimum of five years of Western medicine practice experience or be Board Certified in his or her medical specialty.
- Have a minimum of four years of clinical experience in medical acupuncture since completing a basic training program in medical acupuncture.
- Have published or have accepted for publication an acupuncture related article in a recognized medical periodical.
Have documented ten hours or more of experience teaching medical professionals
on acupuncture related topics.
Nomination and Election
Election of Fellows occurs each Spring during the Annual election of Officers and Directors. For the Spring 2011 elections, the following deadlines apply:
Deadline for the submission of Fellow Applications Feb. 28, 2012*
*(Applications received after the deadline will be carried over to the 2013 election.)
Deadline for submission of Nominations to Members March 15, 2012
Annual Membership Meeting---2012 Symposium, Atlanta, GA April 26-29, 2012
At the time of annual renewal of membership, upon the three-year anniversary of election to Fellowship, Fellows shall document a minimum of 75 hours of continuing education in acupuncture related topics earned in the previous three years.
An application fee of $50 is to be submitted with the application for Fellowship.